The truth is, you can prevent most electrical safety problems before they arise. They can be avoided by knowing what to look for and following some simple steps.

In this article, we will discuss how you can avoid the most common electrical problems that occur in American homes. You will learn about overusing extension cords, out-of-date outlets, old appliances, portable heaters, and using incorrect light bulbs.

Overusing Extension Cords That Overload the Electrical Circuits

When you overload an electrical circuit, the wiring can get very hot and start a fire. At least, that’s what would happen if there was no circuit breaker. Luckily, nearly all homes are designed with circuit breakers, which will cut off the electricity before the wiring gets hot enough to start a house fire.

However, constant circuit overloads are a pain. They are not something you want to deal with on a daily basis. Keep the use of extension cords to a minimum and you should be good to go.

As a side note, you may need an electrical panel upgrade if it’s more than 25 years old.

Electrical Outlets That Are Out of Date

Out of date electrical outlets can be very dangerous. They might not have the correct wiring to handle the amount of electricity being used, which could lead to a fire. 

If you are using an appliance or device that’s plugged into an out-of-date outlet, it could cause the appliance or device to overheat. This could also result in a fire or even an electrical shock.

Be sure to check your electrical outlets regularly and update them as needed to keep yourself and your family safe.

Old Appliances

Many older appliances do not have the same safety features as newer appliances and are a fire hazard if used improperly. If you have old appliances in your home, make sure to replace them as soon as possible.

Portable Heaters

Portable heaters are a great way to warm up your home without having to use gas fire. They can also be used as a more environmentally friendly alternative to fireplaces.

However, there is a potential danger that most people overlook. It doesn’t take much for them to overheat when plugged into an extension cord.

Therefore, it’s vital that you only plug them directly into a power outlet. Otherwise, it could result in a house fire.

Using Incorrect Light Bulbs

Incorrect light bulbs can be a fire hazard. If you are using a light bulb that is not the correct wattage for your fixture, you could be putting yourself and your home at risk.

You can find the wattage rating of the light bulb on the box. And remember, never use a light bulb that is higher wattage than the fixture is rated for as it’s going to be pulling through more energy than required.

Make Sure Appliances Are Dry

One of the most important reasons to keep electrical appliances dry is to prevent fires. Many people don’t realize that a lot of electrical fires are actually caused by water damage. By keeping your appliances dry, you can significantly reduce the risk.

It also reduces the risk of your getting electrocuted. After all, we all know the dangers of mixing water and electricity.

If one of your appliances gets wet, it’s best to turn off the electricity before unplugging it.

Get in Touch With Us Today

Are you looking for a certified electrician? The specialists at Lumos Electric Inc. are happy to help. You can call us at 613-355-9793 or get in touch via the contact form on our website to plan a consultation.