Your home should be a safe and secure haven, a place explicitly designed around your comforts and interests. Unfortunately, things don’t always go according to plan, and there is a genuine risk of severe damage or injury when something goes wrong.

An electric emergency is more common than you think and can lead to house fires. Whether it originates from the electric service panels or a kitchen outlet, you could have a hazardous situation on your hands without professional electrical repair and maintenance. So let’s explore what to watch out for.

Burning Odours

Burning odours indicate extreme heat or fire. Electricity no longer transmits effectively when power outlets or switches become overloaded, or the wiring breaks down. As a result, it can overheat weakened wiring, causing it to burn and fume. In addition, outlets may spark and ignite surrounding wall material.

You may notice the smell before you see smoke, which is more distinctive than wood burning. However, burning plastic odours requires immediate investigation, including turning off the breaker. If there is a flame, call 911 and evacuate the house if you cannot contain the fire.

Never risk your safety while putting out a fire— leave it to the firefighters.

Power Outages

Power outages indicate an electric emergency, though it may not always be inside the home. For example, storms, accidents, and electrical repairs on power poles may all cause power outages from downed or decommissioned power lines.

If you experience a power outage, verify whether it is only your house or whether it extends into the neighbourhood. If you discover a downed power line, never approach. Always assume it is live and dangerous, then call 911 while keeping a safe distance.

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is one of the most dangerous hazards possible in your house. Not only is it invisible, but it is odourless to the human nose, making operational carbon monoxide detectors an absolute necessity.

This poisonous gas comes from dysfunctional, poorly maintained, or improperly installed household appliances without adequate ventilation. If you suspect a carbon monoxide leak or poisoning, vacate immediately and call 911 for help.

Hot Service Panels

The electric service panels, also known as the circuit breaker, control and disperses electricity from an outside source throughout your home. It is usual for the panels to be warm from electrical transfer; however, it shouldn’t be hot to the touch. 

If a power surge fails to “blow the breaker,” the breaker’s job is to break the circuit, and electricity floods and overheats the rest of the system. It is a dangerous situation that could lead to an electrical fire or even electrocution. 

So, if you suspect your electrical panel is overheating or failed to blow a breaker, do not approach and call a certified electrician for an electrical repair. They may need to replace the unit and will have all the proper equipment to handle it safely.

Don’t Leave it to Chance! 

Electricity is a convenience we use daily, but it isn’t something to take for granted. When an electric emergency occurs, it is better to let the experts handle it while you and your family keep a safe distance. 

With professional electrical repair and regular maintenance, you can catch any issues before they become more significant problems. To protect your home and the people inside, trust the certified electricians at Lumos Electric Inc. for all your electrical needs. Their friendly staff have the training and knowledge to assess your system safely and provide trustworthy, high-quality electrical services with precision and care.

Protect yourself from dangerous electrical emergencies now! Book an inspection online or by calling 613-355-9793 today!